Sunday 18 May 2014

Making Cards


I've spent most evenings this week making invitation cards
 for Markie's upcoming birthday party. It was actually my husband
 who suggested that I make them as we're trying to keep costs down.
 I wasn't too keen on the idea initially. I've never made my own
cards before and I have a few WIP's I wanted to get back to and
finish this week. But I changed my mind when I realized I have
 everything needed to make them--blank cards from an unused
 Christmas card making kit, alphabet stamps and washi tapes--
so why not try. And having warmed up to the idea, I thought this was
 my chance to have a go at making washi tape cards like those lovely
ones I've seen online. And so my card making evenings came about.


I started off by sticking strips of different washi tapes to plain
 white paper. I then cut out the shapes I needed before gluing them on
 to the cards. It was easy and I had a lot of fun with the four designs
 I'd chosen.






The idea for the cupcake and ice creams came from some appliqued
bags I made last summer (you can read about it here) while the bunting
and balloons were inspired by a card that Lulu got on her first birthday.
The bunting was also a great way to make use of small pieces of
washi tape-covered paper that were leftover after I've finished
making the other cards. 

I've made a dozen in total and I'm really happy with them. I'm
also glad I tried my hand at something new. As for washi tapes, I'm a
big fan now. I think they're so brilliant. My husband have said the cards
are 'too nice' which is a great compliment. I hope Markie's friends
will like them too and they'll all come to her party. That will make her
really happy.



Thanks for reading. I hope you're all having a lovely weekend!




9 comments:

  1. These are just gorgeous! Beautiful job, are you making decorations for the party, too? If so, I can't wait to see!! I'm sure Markie's friends will have a wonderful time - and I think invitations like those will ensure a good turnout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made paper buntings (using free patterned paper from magazines) for their party last year and I'll just use them again for Markie's party. And we'll have balloons, too. I've found a website that sells little toys in bulk and I've ordered crayons and bird whistles for the party bags. I think those should be enough. x

      Delete
    2. Brilliant! I keep wondering why it has taken us Americans so long to fall in love with buntings, they're just wonderful! I think the party will be so sweet, Markie will have a splendid time!

      Delete
  2. Great invites - so bright - no wonder you are happy you made them yourself after all. I hear many people talk about washi tape but have never tried it myself - maybe one day soon
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The cards look amazing! I particularly like the balloon and bunting ones (I have a bit of a 'thing' about bunting!). I have yet to get any washi tape but have seen loads of ideas for it on Pinterest, and now your cards really make me want to get some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Markie's friends will love them! So pretty, and a nice selection of ideas. They carry the Japanese theme through, and are beautiful! One more to add to the list of your creative talents, Marion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic! I did something similar with baubles shapes on Christmas cards last year and I love they way you've used balloon and cupcake motifs. They look brilliant and will be very happily received I am sure. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful Marion. I really like the ballon ones especially, so pretty. I love the colours of washi tapes you have used.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated Happy Birthday to Markie! You did a great job with the invitations...they are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete